Your Adoption-Related Rights… 

  • Prior to signing legal consent or paperwork for the adoption, you have the right to be informed about the law and your ability to change your mind and time frame to revoke your consent to the adoption. 

Speak with a counselor in confidence 

  • Have continued counseling even after your rights have been terminated 
  • Have a legally binding future contact agreement, if allowed by your state 


State Specific Information You have equal rights in making a decision for your baby’s future. Our counselors are able to speak with you about your wishes. 

At minimum you will to speak with a counselor about your feelings about adoption, provide medical background information, and sign legal paperwork. 

Each state has different laws about adoption. In general, legal paperwork may be signed prior to the birth of your baby in some states and there is a set revocation period after the baby’s birth in which you can change your mind. 

Below are steps to take if you want to parent:

  • Contact the agency
  • Have a plan for housing, childcare, financial resources, and support 
  • Obtain a car seat, crib, diapers, formula and other baby items
  • Complete a paternity test after baby is born
  • Register on your state’s Putative Father Registry 

Be advised if the above steps are not completed, the court may require the agency to take additional steps to inform you of your rights including publicizing in the local paper or sending a process server to find you. 

If you chose not to be involved, the court may opt to terminate your parental rights on an involuntary basis. 


If you complete the legal paperwork, your parental rights will be terminated on a voluntary basis and you can remain in contact with your child through open adoption.  

Some states also have a Putative Father Registry which allows an unmarried man who believes he could be a father to register his information to be contacted in case of an adoption placement. By putting your name on the registry you are claiming possible paternity and taking financial responsibility for the child. 

You can register whether or not you know she’s making an adoption plan in order to protect your rights. 


Contact Adoption For My Child for more information.